They may be the most notorious couple in history, but William Shakespeare’s star-crossed lovers, Romeo and Juliet, haven’t been on Broadway since 1987. But soon R&J will return to Broadway in a new production starring Orlando Bloom (Legolas in The Lord of the Rings) and Condola Rashad (currently co-starring in Broadway’s The Trip to Bountiful) as the doomed young couple.
Directed by David Leveaux, the production will emphasize a racial divide, casting the Montagues as a white household and the Capulets as a black family. The only other cast members announced so far are Joe Morton (Raisin, Art) as Lord Capulet and Jayne Houdyshell (Dead Accounts, Follies) as the Nurse.
Romeo and Juliet will start previews at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on August 24, with an opening date set for September 19.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Our Mother’s Brief Affair” and “Noises Off” Open - January 23, 2016
- Lion King and Hamilton Online Ticket Lotteries Begin - January 6, 2016
- “Noises Off” Begins Previews at the American Airlines Theatre - January 2, 2016
- 2015/2016 New Year Holiday Broadway Show Schedule - December 22, 2015
- “The Illusionists: Live on Broadway” – The Magic is Back - December 12, 2015