From pop icons to has-been TV stars, the Broadway production of Chicago has featured just about everyone imaginable in the role of Billy Flynn. John Schneider, Alan Thicke, Billy Zane, George Hamilton, Huey Lewis, Joey Lawrence, Patrick Swayze, and Usher are just a sampling of the performers who have played the slick, charming lawyer who sings the signature Kander and Ebb tunes “All I Care About Is Love” and “Razzle Dazzle”. Now Chicago is going a little bit country by welcoming former chart topper Billy Ray Cyrus into the role.
Better known to younger generations as Miley Cyrus’s dad, Billy Ray Cyrus created a sensation in the ’90s with his breakout hit “Achy Breaky Heart,” going on to find further success with “Some Gave All”. Cyrus is not new to acting, having played the lead on the PAX TV series Doc and playing a version of himself on the Disney hit show Hannah Montana.
Seeing John O’Hurley (known to TV audiences as J. Peterman on Seinfeld) play Billy Flynn inspired Billy Ray Cyrus to try his hand at the part. Making his Broadway debut, the country singer is scheduled to play Billy Flynn from November 5 to December 23.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “SpongeBob SquarePants” Earns Positive Reviews - December 7, 2017
- “The Children” Begins Previews at Manhattan Theatre Club - December 1, 2017
- “Latin History for Morons” Earns Mixed Reviews - November 23, 2017
- “The Band’s Visit” Opens to Rave Reviews - November 17, 2017
- “SpongeBob SquarePants” Musical Begins Previews - November 9, 2017