The Christmas holiday had a considerable impact on Broadway schedules last week, prompting many shows to cancel performances on Christmas and to add matinee performances later in the week. New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, too, are known to inspire a few schedule changes for Broadway shows, and they are just a couple days away.
Naturally no Broadway show wants to hold a performance on New Year’s Eve, a night when Times Square is overflowing with revelers and many potential audience members are attending New Year’s parties, so all evening performances on December 31 have been canceled. However, a handful of shows — Jersey Boys, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Newsies, and Peter and the Starcatcher — are offering special Monday matinee performances that day.
On January 1, New Year’s Day, most Broadway shows are having Tuesday evening performances as usual. Family-friendly Annie, however, is taking the unusual step of having matinee that day. To view the entire New Year’s week schedule, click here.
Latest posts by Pawdesh Salawi (see all)
- “Thérèse Raquin” Opens at Roundabout’s Studio 54 Theatre - November 7, 2015
- “Dames at Sea” Opens at the Helen Hayes Theatre - November 3, 2015
- “Old Times” Opens at the American Airlines Theatre - October 16, 2015
- “On Your Feet!” Musical Begins Previews on Broadway - October 11, 2015
- “Spring Awakening” Opens at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre - September 30, 2015