The famed 1950s sitcom The Honeymooners will step onto the musical theater stage in September 2013 at The Old Globe in San Diego. This new musical version of The Honeymooners features a book by Bill Nuss and Dusty Kay, lyrics by Peter Mills, and music by Stephen Weiner. Jerry Mitchell (Hairspray, The Full Monty) will serve as both director and choreographer.
Taking on the iconic role of Ralph Kramden, made famous by Jackie Gleason, is Michael McGrath, the actor who recently won a Tony Award for his performance as a tough guy bootlegger in Nice Work If You Can Get It on Broadway.
The musical features the classic TV show’s beloved characters, Ralph, his wife Alice, Ralph’s best friend Ed Norton and Ed’s wife Trixie. However, the musical’s plot is an original storyline in which Ralph and Ed enter a jingle competition and, surprisingly, they win, bringing the blue collar Brooklyn guys into the world of Madison Avenue.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- Shows Struggle Financially, Producers Get Creative - May 22, 2016
- Tina Fey’s “Mean Girls” Destined for Broadway - May 15, 2016
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson Opens “Fully Committed” - May 5, 2016
- “The Father” Earns Mixed Reviews on Broadway - April 16, 2016
- “Shuffle Along” Begins Previews at the Music Box Theatre - March 24, 2016