An Enemy of the People ends its limited run at the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre today. This new production of the Henrik Ibsen classic was one of the first new shows of the 2012-2013 Broadway season, but it struggled during much of its run.
Starring Richard Thomas and Boyd Gaines, An Enemy of the People is about a doctor who discovers that a community spa has been contaminated. When he makes this revelation known, though, he’s surprised to find that people are not grateful but rather angry at him, since the spa accounts for most of the town’s revenue.
An Enemy of the People was produced by the Manhattan Theatre Club as its first production of this Broadway season. The play made its first appearance on Broadway in 1895, and prior to this production, the most recent Broadway revival was in 1971.
Latest posts by Jennifer Chen (see all)
- “Our Mother’s Brief Affair” and “Noises Off” Open - January 23, 2016
- Lion King and Hamilton Online Ticket Lotteries Begin - January 6, 2016
- “Noises Off” Begins Previews at the American Airlines Theatre - January 2, 2016
- 2015/2016 New Year Holiday Broadway Show Schedule - December 22, 2015
- “The Illusionists: Live on Broadway” – The Magic is Back - December 12, 2015